This recipe of dal is inspired from the dals served at Punjabi dhabas.
🥗 I N G R E D I E N T S
- 5 Cups water
- 1 cup urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- For tempering:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 Green chillies (slit)
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp dhaba tadka mix
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- For dhaba tadka mix:
- 1 tbsp jeera
- 1 1/2 tbsp dhaniya seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mace (Javitri powder)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- to taste salt
How to make dhaba dal
A) cooking lentils
1. Pick and rinse the lentils a couple of times. If you want you can also soak the lentils in water for an hour.
2. Add the lentils to a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder.
3. Also add 2 cups of water.
4. Pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes on a low to medium flame. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dals. the lentils should be cooked very well and softened.
Depending on the quality of lentils, they may take less or more time to cook. lightly mash the dal and keep aside. If you soak the lentils, then it will take less time to pressure cook.
Making dhaba dal
1. In a kadai or thick bottomed pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee. Add all the ‘whole spices’ and saute them till they crackle and become fragrant.
In this below photo the whole spices added are:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tej patta or Indian bay leaf
2. Then add 1 medium sized chopped onions or ⅓ cup chopped onion.
3. On a low to medium flame, stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden.
4. Then add 1 teaspoon crushed ginger, 1 teaspoon crushed garlic, 2 to 3 slit green chilies & 2 to 3 dry red chilies.
5. Mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
6. Add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and stir.
7. Now add 1 large size chopped tomato or ½ cup chopped tomato.
8. Mix well and begin to saute the tomatoes on a low to medium flame.
9. Stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
10. Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
11. Mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
12. Add the cooked dal.
13. Add ½ to ⅔ cup water or as required. For a thicker consistency add less water.
14. Simmer the dal on a low flame for about 6 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens a bit. Keep on stirring the dal at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
15. Garnish with some coriander leaves and Serve the dhaba dal hot with rotis or parathas or naan. It can also be had with steamed basmati rice or cumin rice or peas pulao.
16. ♡ Say a little prayer, sprinkle a whole lot of love and serve with a smile